On 24 August 2023 the Honourable Yvette D’Ath MP, Attorney-General and Minister for Justice and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence introduced the Body Corporate and Community Management and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 (the Bill) into the Queensland Parliament. The Bill was referred to the Legal Affairs and Safety Committee (LASC) who are responsible for conducting an inquiry into the legislation. This means that the legislative amendments have not been passed as law yet.
There are a number of amendments that are under consideration which include:
- The termination process for basic community titles schemes
- The towing of vehicles by bodies corporate without the need to follow the prescribed by-law process
- Allowing by-laws to prohibit smoking on the common property or part of the lot
- Proposed timeframe for bodies corporate to approve animals and setting out reasons a body corporate may refuse an animal.
- Accessing records in layered scheme arrangements as well as changes to the by-law enforcement process for principal bodies corporate.
- Alternative insurance decisions to be made by adjudicators of our office.
- Bodies corporate being able to change the financial year without applying for an adjudicators order once every 5 years.
The LASC invites you to have your say by making a written submission. The closing date for written submissions is 5:00pm Saturday, 2 September 2023. Submissions may be emailed to:
or posted to:
Legal Affairs and Safety Committee
Brisbane Qld 4000
Submissions must include:
- the author’s name
- if the submission is made on behalf of an organisation, the level of approval (e.g. a local branch, executive committee or national organisation)
and at least two of the following:
- email address
- mailing address, and
- daytime telephone number.
Please ensure your submission includes the above or it may not be considered by the committee.
Please note: Your name and submission may be published on the committee’s inquiry webpage; this means it can be viewed on the internet. If you do not want your name or submission to be published, you can ask for it to be withheld. The committee will decide whether or how submissions are to be published.
Please do not send your submissions to our office. More information about the proposed legislation and how to make a submission can be found Inquiry Webpage | Queensland Parliament.
The Explanatory Notes and Statement of Compatibility with human rights for the Bill are also available at:
- Body Corporate and Community Management and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 Explanatory Notes; and
- Body Corporate and Community Management and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 Statement of Compatibility.
Please check our website for more details in the coming weeks www.qld.gov.au/bodycorporate.